Thursday, January 22, 2015

Day 1-2 Settling In

Yay, we did it! I'm at the base and having tons of fun exploring and making new friends. It's raining cats and dogs out, but I love it because sounds lovely on the roof especially and hopefully it will keep the heat and humidity at bay for a while :)

Traveling went great! There were a few minor hiccups but nothing we couldn't handle. I was in the first group of students to arrive so we had some time to bond and explore before the rest showed up. More are expected to come today, but with the weather, I'm hoping their flights aren't delayed. One of the area's we got to check out of a road that everyone here calls "The Loop" it takes about an hour to walk it all the way through and get back to the base, but like everything else here it is beautiful.

I was surprised by my lack of jet lag when we arrived and got settled in, I didn't started to feel tired until about 5 or 6pm and finally crashed around 9. It was fun though. After dinner we were all in the main house and several different games broke out. I mostly watched because of how exhausted I was, but I did hang around the piano and sing with some of the students and staff. 

Speaking of which, the staff here are awesome, they are all such sweet, genuine, beautiful people. They were so helpful with getting our bags to our houses, and loved showing us around. 

I've decided that Toowoomba is pretty much Michigan and Costa Rica tossed together and dropped on an Island Nation. It's absolutely gorgeous. The houses are very eclectic and so is the wildlife, like "oh look a cactus and a palm tree sharing the safe tiny area of land". The view is AMAZING. There is a mountain (or large hill depending on where you come from) called Table Top that you can see from the point. We are up in the mountains so you can see for miles around when its not terribly foggy. 

Today is the last "lazy" day before the chaos, orientation starts tomorrow and then we are off!

As I've said a thousand time before, and will say a thousand times again, thank you all so much for your prayers and support! You are wonderful human beings and I will miss you all dearly, and can't wait to share everything with you when I return!

1 comment: